Twitter Search Tweets Task
Twitter Search Tweets Task extracts a list of Tweets based on a given query text.
Configuring Twitter Search Tweets Task
Similarly to adding other SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) tasks, the Twitter Search Tweets Task shown in Figure 1 can be added into the Control Flow pane in the following manner;
- Drag-and-drop the Twitter Search Tweets Task into the Control Flow, or
- Double clicking the Twitter Search Tweets Task
By default the Twitter Search Tweets Task will throw validation errors shown in Figure 2.
To resolve the validation errors, we need to configure the Twitter Search Tweets Task by using its editor (Twitter Search Tweets Task Editor).
The Twitter Search Tweets Task has five parameters:
- Search Query – tweet text to search for. It has a maximum character value of 500 and default value is trevornoah
- Count – Number of tweets to return. The maximum value is 100 and the default value is 5
- Since ID – Return tweets that has occured since the given id, by default the value is set to -1, which indicates recent tweets
- Save To – path wherein the generated file will be stored
- Save As – which can either be JSON of TEXT file – by default, the results will be saved as TEXT file
Set Absolute Values
Providing absolute values for the parameters refers to hardcoding the values into the textboxes.
Dynamically Set Values using Expressions
Instead of manually capturing values for the parameters, we can dynamically set them using package expressions. Expressions reads data from package variables at runtime. To configure expressions, click the Ex button. This will open up a Choose Variable dialog box. You can then select the variable you want to use and click the OK button.
Once you have clicked the OK button, you will be redirected back to the Twitter Search Tweets Task with textboxes set to variable names.
Executing Twitter Search Tweets Task
The execution of the Twitter Search Tweets Task is usually quick. Similarly to executing other SSIS tasks, the simplest way of executing Twitter Search Tweets Task is to right-click your mouse button, navigate to and click Execute Task option as shown in Figure 6.
If the configuration is done correctly, the Twitter Search Tweets Task execution should be successful as shown in Figure 7.
The file generated after executing the Twitter Search Tweets Task is shown in Figure 8 and it is prefixed with SST_TwitSearchTweets_ followed by a date and time stamp.
Additional Informational Events
As the Twitter Search Tweets Task is being executed, it is important to take notes of two additional information events that will appear in the Execution Results tab in the designer. As indicated in Figure 11, these two informational events basically describe the parameter values that are being used in during task execution. This information could be useful during troubleshooting, especially in cases where Expressions are used to set parameter values.